Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Welcome, Rod Eaton!!!

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An actual writer from the never to be forgotten classic magazine, Super-8 Filmaker.

    Rod, tell us about Super-8 Filmaker Magazine and when are you guys going to stage a reunion tied into a Super-8 Film Festival.

    I'll put on the Super-8 Film Festival if you handle the Reunion. Maybe you guys could be the judges, the winning film gets aired on Showtime or HBO...???

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WelcomeRod.I remember your articles from years past well.We look forward to your posts and updates on a great format that deserves to live on.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's interesting but many people who were in the print industry in the late 70's don't realize that they many have devoted fans 25 years later.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rpeaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello, Alex and friends. It's fun to read posts referring to Super 8 Filmaker. Writing for the magazine was always interesting, since it was published in San Francisco and I lived in Minneapolis. Most of our communication was by mail, with an occasional phone call. I visited the offices only once or twice and met some of the other regular contributing editors like Dennis and Lenny.

    Incidently, Lenny Lipton wrote one of the best books on filmmaking -- it is still in publication. He also wrote the lyric "Puff the Magic Dragon", which was recorded and, I'm sure, made him enough money to feed his film habit.

    I doubt there will be a reunion of the S8F staff. But I do think some of the information found in the magazine is still valid today. One of you mentioned the Schufftan process, using a part silvered mirror to create composite images. There are easier and better ways to do the same thing today, using the digital bag of tricks. There may be times, though, when the old way is best.

    More importantly, I think anyone who wants to create with film or video benifits from understanding how things were. I agree with Alex that film should be a prerequisite to video (I read his rant on schools), and I think photography should be a prereq to film.

    OK, enough. Rod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •